Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Foul-weather Friends, Adrienne & Charlie
Charles C. Coddington
 Posted: Jan 7 2017, 10:24 AM

Hobo

265 posts

20 years old

Socialite!

MC Student

tracker

Foul-weather Friends
Adrienne Kang & Charles C. Coddington

"Adrienne! Adrienne Kang!"

It's midafternoon on a Tuesday, shortly after Monroe's classes start, and Charles Coddington has stopped stock still in a corridor in Hewlett Hall, causing the students behind him to stream around him.

He has never, ever greeted Adrienne this warmly before. He's barely even spoken to her before, or at least, not to say anything that he remembers, anything that he wouldn't say to any other well-dressed guest at a Whale's Way gala. Now his eyes are lit up with excitement and, well, yes, relief. Three days ago, having never set foot in a school before, or experienced the gut-twisting agony of making his way through hoards of backpacked students, looking for this or that classroom, he would never have guessed how good it could feel to spot a familiar face.

Adrienne Kang, walking in his direction with her usual cool determination, feels like nothing short of a savior sent from above, something to cling to in this sea of the unknown.

"What are you doing here?" he asks, shifting the bag over his shoulder, as if they've run into each other at some out-of-the-way vacation spot in France or Spain instead of at a school he already knew they both attended. "Aren't you a sight for sore eyes. I haven't seen you in ages. How are things?"

--------------------
5'0, curvy || fancy-pants recluse || soooooooo dramatic!! || > you ||
moodboard
PM
^
Adrienne Kang
 Posted: Jan 14 2017, 01:02 AM

Taylor

300 posts

22 years old

Political Science Major, Senior, ΑΝΩ President

MC Student

tracker

When she hears her name being called out, Adrienne looks up from her phone with an all-together displeased expression that, initially, doesn't shift much when she realizes just who called out to her.

But as she slows to a stop, her mouth molds itself into her typical Pan Am smile, too-white teeth emphasized by dark red lips, "Charlie." His name comes out sounding stiff, with an forceful undercurrent of why on Earth are you here?

What comes out as a polite laugh, Adrienne means as a groan, as she waves away his second question. "Uhm, I go to school here? I should be asking you that question." She raises her eyebrows, expecting some kind of explanation. "Shouldn't you be back in England by now?"

And yeah, maybe it sounds a bit cruel to say to someone she's hardly talked to outside of some of those fancy socialite schmoozing events, but she's really not in the mood to deal with his over-familiarity given the non-occasion. And anyways, Charlie's weird.

--------------------
profile || plot page || threads || relationships || playlist || style
{ 5'5", recently dropped weight || ΑΝΩ president || political scandal || identity crisis }
PM
^
Charles C. Coddington
 Posted: Jan 18 2017, 08:28 PM

Hobo

265 posts

20 years old

Socialite!

MC Student

tracker

Charlie gives a groan that he meant as a polite laugh. He waves a hand dismissively. "Well," he says, as if there's some great story as to why he's in Maine at this time of year, and doesn't continue.

Because look, the truth is, it's completely mortifying that he's over here right now. It's not even as if he'd just stayed here longer than usual - he might have been able to pass that off as a choice - no, Charles Coddington hopped on a plane to England in September, as usual, and three months later he was being shoved on one to Maine again.

He'd forgotten that Adrienne Kang would know where he was supposed to be at this time of year. It's awful, how familiar faces tend to be familiar with you.

"Well," he says, a second try after a good ten seconds of silence, and this time it succeeds in jump-starting the perfect end to the sentence: "I'm here." He gestures at the hallway around them. "I'm taking classes here. Haven't you heard? Communications." He pronounces the name of his major as if it's something incredibly impressive, as if he picked it himself, as if he has never shrieked it in horror to his mother on the phone like even the sound of it would make her regret her decision.

--------------------
moodboard
PM
^
Adrienne Kang
 Posted: Mar 1 2017, 09:01 PM

Taylor

300 posts

22 years old

MC Student

tracker

Adrienne is immediately, majorly suspicious of the none-response from Charlie, considering how much he seems loves to talk about himself. She knows all about talking around questions to avoid answering. It seems so obvious to her.

Her smile turns to looking a bit more forced as she nods in agreement, "You sure are..."

Hearing communications, all she hears is Madison Darlington and her expression sours a little more. "Interesting. Why communications of all things?"

--------------------
{ 5'5", recently dropped weight || ΑΝΩ president || political scandal || identity crisis }
PM
^
Charles C. Coddington
 Posted: Mar 12 2017, 07:06 PM

Hobo

265 posts

20 years old

Socialite!

MC Student

tracker

And again Charlie is stuck. Communications, because it sounded more refined than his only other option, business, and easier, and because he'd reasoned that he's already an excellent conversationalist.

He's not completely sure what the major actually involves.

"Oh," he says airily, "you know. It's a really useful major for CEOs and things like that. For press releases, and things." He waves a hand dismissively. "What was your major? Wasn't it economics or something like that?" He's so sure he's got it right that he doesn't even wait for confirmation. "Anyway. You've been here a while. I'm completely lost, I'm meant to be in A-oh-20 and whoever designed this building clearly didn't anticipate how hard it would be to navigate with hoards of people milling about all the time. Walk me, won't you? I can't be late." He holds out his hand for her arm.

--------------------
moodboard
PM
^
Adrienne Kang
 Posted: Apr 1 2017, 11:45 PM

Taylor

300 posts

22 years old

MC Student

tracker

Adrienne just scoffs and rolls her eyes, unconvinced that Charlie has any idea what he's talking about. And she almost doesn't care to correct about her major, almost just brushes him off to storm away... but when he holds his hand out and asks for help?

Well.

Can she really say no? Especially considering the fact that even less people want anything to do with her since Halloween. Even some of her acquaintances from College Republicans have been avoiding her since the New Year thanks her father's flip-flop stance on everything lately.

Maybe talking to someone will make her feel better? Even if it is Charlie Coddington.

(If she's honest, Garrett would have been her next choice if she hadn't already decided she was bored of his attention.)

So she lets Charlie take her arm and then starts leading them off towards where he needs to be. "Political Science, by the way," she says with some attitude, as if to say he really should know better.

This post has been edited by Adrienne Kang: Apr 1 2017, 11:46 PM

--------------------
PM
^
Charles C. Coddington
 Posted: Apr 9 2017, 05:34 PM

Hobo

265 posts

20 years old

Socialite!

MC Student

tracker

But honestly, what would a thing like that matter to him? He almost doesn't realize what she's talking about for a moment, and the way he frowns at her, confused, says as much. No, he almost tells her, he's going to Principles of Oral Communication -

he realizes what she's saying just in time. "Oh," he says. "Yes. Like your father." His eyes slip over to her. "How is he?"

--------------------
moodboard
PM
^
Adrienne Kang
 Posted: Apr 13 2017, 08:18 PM

Taylor

300 posts

22 years old

MC Student

tracker

Oh. Yes. Like my father.

She mockingly repeats the words in her head, a tight smile still pulled on her face, really starting to hate it every time her father is mentioned in conversation.

It makes her heart sink a little at the idea that she might never be recognized outside of his shadow.

Her jaw tightens, and she keeps her eyes focused forward.. "Busy, as far as I know," she says curtly.

This post has been edited by Adrienne Kang: Apr 13 2017, 08:20 PM

--------------------
PM
^
Charles C. Coddington
 Posted: Apr 17 2017, 07:49 PM

Hobo

265 posts

20 years old

Socialite!

MC Student

tracker

Charlie watches her a moment longer, taking in the tightness of her smile.

"I imagine so," he says after a moment, his eyes sliding away. It's instinctive, unthinking, these digs, this reminder that he knows what her father has done. It's always, always best to keep those around you in line, even when your arm is linked through theirs and you're pretending, for lack of a better option, that the two of you are actually friends.

"It must be hard, isn't it," he sighs next. That job done, he congratulates himself on how well he's feigning empathy. After all, he has no clue what it's like to have a family member in the news so often for such awful things.

Although that's historically because he's the one causing the scandal.

--------------------
moodboard
PM
^
Adrienne Kang
 Posted: Apr 19 2017, 08:20 PM

Taylor

300 posts

22 years old

MC Student

tracker

She knows exactly what this is, these subtle jabs.

It's nothing she can do anything about, the way they seem so harmless and even friendly on the surface, and it's almost more frustrating than anything else.

"Hmm, I imagine so," she mimes, "though you probably relate more than I do." And it's her own attempt at a jab back, more direct than Charlie's own.

--------------------
PM
^
Charles C. Coddington
 Posted: Apr 26 2017, 08:37 AM

Hobo

265 posts

20 years old

Socialite!

MC Student

tracker

mentions of parental death

But arrogance and willful ignorance are tough armor, strong enough to withstand even direct hits to dignity. Charlie raises his eyebrows a judgmental millimeter and takes no offence where it was meant. "I can't imagine how," he says. "The most scandalous thing my father ever did was die."

He almost sounds like he's bragging.

--------------------
moodboard
PM
^
Adrienne Kang
 Posted: Apr 26 2017, 12:09 PM

Taylor

300 posts

22 years old

MC Student

tracker

Adrienne rolls her eyes, off-put and slightly discomforted by the apparent bragging. She doesn't like how dense he can be, and doesn't forgive his sheltered upbringing for that like most others might.

"I meant you, Charlie."

--------------------
PM
^
Charles C. Coddington
 Posted: Apr 29 2017, 06:16 PM

Hobo

265 posts

20 years old

Socialite!

MC Student

tracker

Charlie scoffs, so well-practiced that he almost believes his scorn. But there's something a little nervous about his expression. The public waterworks, the dramatic fainting spells, the so-called tantrums are nothing more than completely undeserved bad press, but he's willing to allow that there are a few things printed about him back home that he'd really rather not follow him across the ocean.

"Well, you shouldn't believe everything you read," he says haughtily. "I honestly don't even want to know what you're talking about. Anyway it's nothing like your father. He could end up behind bars, you know that, don't you?"

--------------------
moodboard
PM
^
Adrienne Kang
 Posted: May 9 2017, 09:21 PM

Taylor

300 posts

22 years old

MC Student

tracker

Adrienne returns a sharp, forced laugh, "I think you should follow your own advice about believing everything you read, Charlie. Especially considering the sad state of American journalism, lately." Her tone comes across as if she's lecturing a child, and honestly she thinks she might as well be.

"The truth is that there are people out there that don't like what my father has to say and are simply targeting him in a pathetic attempt to ruin his career. Then, of course, the liberal media gets their hands on it and start with their ridiculous conspiracies and witch hunts like they always do."

--------------------
PM
^
Charles C. Coddington
 Posted: May 21 2017, 01:12 PM

Hobo

265 posts

20 years old

Socialite!

MC Student

tracker

His arm still linked with Adrienne's, Charlie rolls his eyes at her as she speaks. He can't imagine why she thinks he wants to hear this. It's not as if he actually reads the articles about her father, which are so dry that the only thing worth knowing about them is the fact that they exist. It hardly even matters if the accusations are true or not - the damage to her father's reputation is what she should really be concerned about, Charlie thinks, Adrienne's voice a background murmur to his own internal monologue.

"Whatever you say," he tells her when she finishes talking, the tone in his voice silently adding is most likely wrong to the end of the sentence. "Anyway, you don't have to be so defensive. I'm on your side, don't you know that? I'm sympathizing." He doesn't fault her for not realizing that. He supposes pity is an alien phenomenon for Adrienne, with a father as awful as hers.

--------------------
moodboard
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll