Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

virgil's revenge, open!
Ingrid Lohengramm
 Posted: May 14 2017, 10:43 PM

abby

12 posts

19 years old

N/A

MC Student

tracker

"What a prick." Ingrid muttered as she translated another line from Virgil. "No wonder Dryden liked him so much. No one else has had a stick shoved as firmly up their ass as those two." She took a sip from her dirty chai and leaned back in her chair, away from the copy of Georgics. A quick glance around the cafe. Two blinks. A sigh. A revitalizing inhale. Nose back in the book. Without looking, Ingrid placed her cup back on the table. The edge of the table.

"Not thi--MOTHER--" The mug falls to the ground, breaking clean in two. Chai everywhere. "...all KINDS of ducks" Ingrid muttered angrily. Spilling things was one of her top skills, and the one that gave her the most trouble. She looked at the mess on the ground, then at her table. Virgil remained completely dry. "Screw you." She said to the Roman poet. She picked up the mug, carefully, and began to wipe the floor down with her napkin. Suddenly, she felt someone standing over her. She looks up, irritation in her eyes.

"Yes?"

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Szveina Ylvasdóttir
 Posted: May 15 2017, 12:21 PM

Bee

536 posts

19 years old

Pi Beta Phi Princess | Freshman

MC Student

tracker

"Oh!"

The girl behind Ingrid instantly jumps into action, having been frozen in place for a good few seconds after the accident, torn between walking by or crouching down to help. Now that she's been caught, however, she chooses the latter, pulling napkins out of her bag to mop up the mess on the table.

"Here, let me... I think some of your books got wet."

--------------------
she's blonde for now yo
PMEmail
^
Ingrid Lohengramm
 Posted: May 16 2017, 06:21 PM

abby

12 posts

19 years old

N/A

MC Student

tracker

"Only the good ones..." Ingrid said, vexed. She quickly shook her head and looked the girl in the eyes. "I mean... thank you." Her eyes darted down again. "I was just frustrated because of... sorry..." She paused for a second before regaining her composure.

"I'm going to throw these napkins away and grab some more. And hand back what's left of this mug..." She smiled a bit, starting to find the humor in the situation, and looked back into the girls eyes. "Would you mind checking to see if anything was damaged too bad?"

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Szveina Ylvasdóttir
 Posted: May 16 2017, 06:38 PM

Bee

536 posts

19 years old

MC Student

tracker

Szveina nods, already starting to flip through the books and mop up the worst of the damage.

"Yeah, of course! I know how to clean them out too, I do it like all the time but... Oh! You should, like, be careful, I've totally cut my hand on glass like that before."

--------------------
she's blonde for now yo
PMEmail
^
Ingrid Lohengramm
 Posted: May 16 2017, 06:56 PM

abby

12 posts

19 years old

N/A

MC Student

tracker

Ingrid chuckled. "Don't worry. I'm an expert at breaking things, so I've gotten pretty good at cleaning them up without doing anymore damage."

She walked the broken mug up to the bussing area, and grabbed a few more napkins. When she returned, she held up her hands. "See! No damage. These hands are calloused enough to withstand a little glass, see." She offered her hand to shake.

"Ingrid, by the way."

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Szveina Ylvasdóttir
 Posted: May 16 2017, 07:32 PM

Bee

536 posts

19 years old

MC Student

tracker

"Oh, right, Szveina," she says, and when she takes Ingrid's hand she makes an effort to feel the difference between the two. Since Ingrid had pointed it out, put the thought in her mind like some unraveling plot, she's curious. When she lets go, goes back to pressing napkins in between pages of books, she tries to sound casual,

"What do you mean by that?"

--------------------
she's blonde for now yo
PMEmail
^
Ingrid Lohengramm
 Posted: May 16 2017, 07:55 PM

abby

12 posts

19 years old

N/A

MC Student

tracker

Ingrid furrowed her brow for a moment. "Oh I just mean I, uh, they've been roughed up enough times where they're pretty thick. I can pull a potato out of boiling water without hurting!" She said with a grin. She looked over at what Szveina was doing. "My word! You're too sweet I didn't expect such careful treatment."

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Szveina Ylvasdóttir
 Posted: May 17 2017, 04:32 AM

Bee

536 posts

19 years old

MC Student

tracker

She can't exactly tell if Ingrid's being serious or if she's just speaking in hyperbole, and so Szveina just laughs politely at that.

However, she does look up with surprise when Ingrid comments on her care. Feeling her face start to heat up, she pulls her hair over her shoulder to hide the look on her face. "Like I said! I've, like, totally done it before? I had this one book when I was like ten, you know? And, like, I left it outside when it was snowing? Anyway, I brought it in and it in and just threw it in my closet all wrapped in a towel and when I looked again it looked like it was growing mold?" She makes a face, sticking out her tongue.

"We had to throw it away. Which really sucked because I liked that one. Anyway," she waves a hand, "it's super no big deal."

--------------------
she's blonde for now yo
PMEmail
^
Ingrid Lohengramm
 Posted: May 17 2017, 09:49 AM

abby

12 posts

19 years old

N/A

MC Student

tracker

"Gross! The mold I mean." Ingrid was laughing, however. "Well I'm glad I ran into someone with so much experience on the subject. I hate to deal with an amateur." Ingrid stuck her tongue out, just a bit, and grinned a half-grin.

"But you really did save me trouble. I have a bad habit of throwing things away and just buying new ones, but this," she put her hand on the copy of Ovid's Amores Szveina had just finished drying, "well I like this one particularly..." For a moment, her body slacked, and she cracked a knuckle, impulsively, "It's the only copy I've ever had. It's been with me through a lot." Ingrid made an effort to smile big again, but it wasn't her most convincing one. She quietly finished wiping the last bits of chai off the table and floor, and then went to put her books away.

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Szveina Ylvasdóttir
 Posted: May 18 2017, 03:05 AM

Bee

536 posts

19 years old

MC Student

tracker

There it is again

the hint of something untold, a narrative striking up like a band in her mind.

"I don't think I've read that one. What's it about?"

--------------------
she's blonde for now yo
PMEmail
^
Ingrid Lohengramm
 Posted: May 18 2017, 10:30 PM

abby

12 posts

19 years old

N/A

MC Student

tracker

"Oh it's just a bunch of old Roman love poems... but it's really good! Ovid understands sensuality so well. Love. Sex. Intimacy. The absurdity and ecstasy of it all. He's a hopeless optimist, but I like that about him. Scholars generally think of it as a lesser work, and I mean I love Metamorphoses too, but his elegies are... he understands people, and how they interact with each other. I would lend it to you but it's kind of important to me, and it's all in Latin anyway... but Christopher Marlowe's translation is amazing because well... Marlowe is fabulous and hedonistic and.... oh shit. I'm rambling--I'm sorry I try not to do that I'm sure it's all nonsense I just," Ingrid smiled and sighed wistfully "I really like poetry and people are so rarely interested and then I go and babble on when they are." She laughs.

"So thank you for indulging me. Usually people don't start asking me about that stuff until they're pretty wasted, or they're trying to sleep with me, but I guess I don't have that reputation around here. 'Don't talk to Ingrid about poetry unless you want to get talked at for the rest of the night.' was the kind of... unspoken rule in the scene back home."

She pauses for a minutes and then laughs again, remembering something. "One time, this asshole boy who desperately wanted to have sex with me took me out and I talked to him about Sappho for an hour without stopping and then left before the bill came."

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Szveina Ylvasdóttir
 Posted: May 21 2017, 03:52 PM

Bee

536 posts

19 years old

MC Student

tracker

Through that, Szveina is smiling pretty and polite as she listens. There's a touch of enthusiasm in the way she nods, though, giggling in the parts she thought best. She shakes her head, "Look, like, super secret? I love that kind of stuff. I've written my own poetry and stuff but my like, absolute fave medium is, like, fairy tales? I have a blog, you know?" She forgets mopping up completely to pull her phone from her pocket, shoving it unceremoniously under Ingrid's nose.

"Or, like, several, but this ones more like relevant. Monroeville Fairy Tales?"

--------------------
she's blonde for now yo
PMEmail
^
Ingrid Lohengramm
 Posted: May 21 2017, 08:15 PM

abby

12 posts

19 years old

N/A

MC Student

tracker

Ingrid recoils slightly from the sudden phone in her face. "Oh. Huh... Fairy tales... What kind are you interested in? I've always been a mythology girl but I wonder where the difference is? Maybe it's a class thing. Folk stories versus stories backed by a religious institution. Interesting. I'll have to look more into that." She said while scrolling through, slowly devolving into a mutter more for herself than anyone else. After a moment she looks up, "Look, I'm no good at talking about other people's writing. I always end up being insulting." She flashes a grin, her tongue peeking out of her teeth. "But I hope the witch doesn't die in your story. She's always my favorite."

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Szveina Ylvasdóttir
 Posted: May 22 2017, 07:25 PM

Bee

536 posts

19 years old

MC Student

tracker

"Ummmm, I don't think there's a whole lot," Szveina says, shrugging as she brings her phone back to her, tapping the screen. "Like, I started out with Eddas, you know? Which is like, mythos and stuff. And then also where I lived there were like, fairy and goblin hunt sorts of things pretty traditionally. My brother and I always did that um... but also Disney movies? Those helped."

She shrugs, slipping the phone back into her pocket.

"I like stories with magic and happy endings, though. Trickster fairies are also fun to play with? And like, nature as sentient kinda stuff? I write a lot about ghosts and sentient Earth on my blog, and magical kingdoms and stuff like that. Doesn't really matter about the semantics, you know? So long as it's not, like, real life or anything."

--------------------
she's blonde for now yo
PMEmail
^
Ingrid Lohengramm
 Posted: May 22 2017, 08:02 PM

abby

12 posts

19 years old

N/A

MC Student

tracker

Ingrid looks up, her face austere. "It's always real, though. Every fiction, any version of the self wants you to become it. That's why a dishonest fiction is so immoral. Be careful what you write; stories are a lot more powerful than people like to think."

She was silent for a moment, and then relaxed a bit, a hint of a grin back on her face.

"Any art wants to take the place of your reflection in the mirror and call for your recognition. But us mirror makers know the secret--one does not make a mirror to resemble a person, one brings a person to a mirror."

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll