Pages: (3) 1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

What We Do In The Shadows, Pane
Jane Smith
 Posted: Mar 22 2017, 05:54 PM

SECRET

322 posts

17 years old

Dysfunctional Friend

Archived

tracker

Things have been good. Really good. Perhaps too good. Jane has a habit of getting suspicious when too many good things align, especially for her. And it's been a long line of good fortune. She has a normal sleep schedule, money in savings, she's managed to pull together her apartment so it feels more like a home. She could leave, she could afford that, but she still has it in her head that it's only a matter of time before she leaves with Bruno.

For this reason, she's been enjoying her time with Roose to the fullest extent. Perhaps too much. It's been just over a year since things had started between them, a birthday celebration just past the Canadian border bringing them together in a way she didn't think would sustain. And she doesn't know, not truly, how little she really means to him. She doesn't know that he spends his nights with other women while she's sworn herself off from anyone romantically. She thinks things are getting serious. He's mentioned leaving his wife, on one occasion after a few glasses of wine in a motel room. She's got hope.

And that hope, that boldness, has leaked into her work life, perhaps too much. It's made her sloppy. Which is why today, when she thinks the door is locked for her break and Roose is headed up to his wife, she steals a kiss, only for a moment.

But it's a long enough moment. He pushes her away, turns to go up the stairs, and when she turns back to look towards the store front she notices she's not alone. She covers her mouth, doesn't say anything, doesn't want Roose to know how foolish she was.

She waits until she's heard the door atop the stairs latch before she says anything at all.

"That, uh...um."

Her face is red, embarrassment awash through her entire body.

Parker Emery is a friend, sort of, sure. But this was a secret she had meant to keep forever. From anyone.

--------------------
5'05" | rejected, dysfunctional senior | sad smiles and anxiety | smoke trails | aesthetic

"I learned early what this world wants of me. I carve myself out and be that instead."
PM
^
Parker Emery
 Posted: Mar 23 2017, 12:14 PM

Taylor

1459 posts

20 years old

Biology / Criminology & Waiter at Bernard's

MC Student

tracker

Driving Carrie's car, Parker heads over to the store to quickly grab the few things he needs (namely, cigarettes and some frozen meals). After, he planned to smoke a cigarette, drive back to campus, and read for class before work in the morning.

Walking though the doors, his mood is sour. As empty as the store is at the moment his attention goes right over to Jane and... her boss? Embarrassment and discomfort become clear on his own face as he watches the man disappear upstairs.

He shoves his hands in his pockets as he approaches her, his voice careful, "Everything okay?"

This post has been edited by Parker Emery: Mar 25 2017, 09:10 PM

--------------------
profile || plot page || threads || blog || relationships || past || playlist || style
{ 5'8" || chainsmoker || downward spiral under wraps || west belfast (irish) accent }
user posted imageuser posted image
PM
^
Jane Smith
 Posted: Mar 23 2017, 12:34 PM

SECRET

322 posts

17 years old

Dysfunctional Friend

Archived

tracker

She's already fighting back tears, terrified that she's been found out. Nobody was supposed to know. It would look so poorly on Roose if this ever got out and it was her responsibility to keep it silent. If not just for him, than for her own safety. Bruno would be...

She doesn't think of it. Instead she's moved closer to Parker, hoping not to be heard upstairs.

"I, um. You..." the ability to form complete sentences is eaten by her fears.

"Hi, Parker."

Time to move onto acting like nothing ever happened.

--------------------
5'05" | rejected, dysfunctional senior | sad smiles and anxiety | smoke trails | aesthetic

"I learned early what this world wants of me. I carve myself out and be that instead."
PM
^
Parker Emery
 Posted: Mar 23 2017, 12:45 PM

Taylor

1459 posts

20 years old

MC Student

tracker

Parker doesn't say anything at first, just furrowing his brows slightly. He tries to train his expression to not seem judgmental - and he's not - he gets it more than he'd like.

He thinks of his time in New York. Of the blonde woman he's tried to forget the name of. It makes him feel sick, especially seeing how upset Jane is by being seen.

Not even thinking to return back the greeting, Parker lowers his eyes and blurts out, "I won't say anything. To anyone else, I mean."

--------------------
profile || plot page || threads || blog || relationships || past || playlist || style
{ 5'8" || chainsmoker || downward spiral under wraps || west belfast (irish) accent }
PM
^
Jane Smith
 Posted: Mar 23 2017, 01:06 PM

SECRET

322 posts

17 years old

Dysfunctional Friend

Archived

tracker

That would be better than a greeting, except that she doesn't believe it. People aren't overwhelmingly good, not to her. They don't see something like that and keep it to themselves when it could be used to benefit them somehow.

"Thanks."

She says it anyway, because it's the polite thing to do. But it comes out soft, a sense that she's still scared easy to catch.

--------------------

PM
^
Parker Emery
 Posted: Mar 25 2017, 06:32 PM

Taylor

1459 posts

20 years old

MC Student

tracker

Nodding, Parker's almost certain she's not convinced and he's not sure how to fix that. Or if he should even try.

The silence turns awkward fast and he can't get himself to say anything.

So he motions wordlessly, a small indication that he's going to get out of her hair now, go about his business as if nothing happened. The way he walks away and disappears down the aisle sends the same signal.

It's only a few minutes later when he appears again by checkout with a couple of frozen meals.

This post has been edited by Parker Emery: Mar 25 2017, 06:35 PM

--------------------
PM
^
Jane Smith
 Posted: Mar 25 2017, 07:20 PM

SECRET

322 posts

17 years old

Dysfunctional Friend

Archived

tracker

She lets him go about his business, trying her best to talk down all the things going through her head. Memories of how protective Bruno was when he'd thought Julian was in her apartment during the blizzard, of how many times Roose had said nobody could know, how he'd mentioned this would ruin his marriage and he didn't want to put his kids through that rushing through her head.

And by the time he comes up to the counter she startles back into reality, shaken again.

"Nobody can know, Parker. You understand right? I'd be- Just promise me you didn't see anything."

There's a frantic fear to her now, fear of the consequences that might follow.

--------------------

PM
^
Parker Emery
 Posted: Mar 25 2017, 09:15 PM

Taylor

1459 posts

20 years old

MC Student

tracker

He's barely finished putting the boxes up on the conveyor belt when Jane speaks. The panicked current in her voice worries him even more and it comes across in his expression. He feels a little sick.

"I understand, trust me, I -- " he cuts himself off, glancing over where he saw her and Roose just minutes earlier. He lets out a small sigh, "I promise, but..."

Parker looks right at Jane now, lowering his voice, "How long's this been going on? You're safe?"

--------------------
PM
^
Jane Smith
 Posted: Mar 26 2017, 06:56 AM

SECRET

322 posts

17 years old

Dysfunctional Friend

Archived

tracker

She can see the worry, hears it in his time, and she breaks a little more. A secret is so hard to keep and once it's out there's no turning back. She considers for a moment that she should stop talking about it entirely. But the feeling that overtakes her is a minor relief. That perhaps she can freely talk to at least one person about it.

She still sounds nervous when she speaks again.

"I'm fine. Nothing has happened in the year so I don't think anything will."

--------------------

PM
^
Parker Emery
 Posted: Mar 26 2017, 03:40 PM

Taylor

1459 posts

20 years old

MC Student

tracker

Parker looks down and nods as he fumbles to pull his wallet out of his pocket, feeling a bit deflated but also strangely comforted. All sorts of questions flood his mind, though he knows none of it really matters and it's none of his business anyway.

He watches as she scans his few items and shrugs, saying vaguely, "Easy to say that. "

--------------------
PM
^
Jane Smith
 Posted: Mar 26 2017, 05:31 PM

SECRET

322 posts

17 years old

Dysfunctional Friend

Archived

tracker

This gives her pause. She hesitates at scanning the last item as her eyes drop to her hands, scan across his.

Does he know something she doesn't? Was there someone before her? Is there a reputation that proceeds Roose that she'd never learned? She thinks about Dana, the person she'd replaced. Why did she really leave?

She scans the last item.

"I-I guess it is. Yes."

--------------------

PM
^
Parker Emery
 Posted: Mar 27 2017, 03:38 PM

Taylor

1459 posts

20 years old

MC Student

tracker

Parker sniffs, and then points to the cigarette packs stored behind Jane, "Uhm. Two of the black American Spirits, please."

Really though, he doesn't know anything other than his own personal experience and his own knowledge that even though nothing went particularly wrong during those eight months in New York with that woman, he still regrets it deeply.

"I'm not sayin' I've any place to judge - I'm not. Just... trying to look out for you."

This post has been edited by Parker Emery: Mar 28 2017, 01:20 AM

--------------------
PM
^
Jane Smith
 Posted: Apr 3 2017, 06:55 PM

SECRET

322 posts

17 years old

Dysfunctional Friend

Archived

tracker

Looking out for her. Something it seems more people are willing to do now that she's made herself more vulnerable than ever. She's not sure how to accept the gesture so she turns silently to get his cigarettes, as though he had to remind her what he gets in the first place.

"I- thanks. I'm okay. Really. But thank you."

She scans the cigarettes and lets the total flash at him before adding.

"Anything else tonight?"

And she almost wants him to stay. To talk with her a bit more, make it less awkward. But she won't ask for it.

--------------------

PM
^
Parker Emery
 Posted: Apr 3 2017, 07:51 PM

Taylor

1459 posts

20 years old

MC Student

tracker

Ever since he first met Jane, Parker felt like he could relate to her in some way. Time spent with her since then only strengthened that feeling. All the uncertainty, wanting to run away, wanting something good - he just hopes it will be easier for her than it has been for him.

"Uhm, no, that's it," he says, digging out the cash from his wallet to hand over to her.

And when she hands back his change, he adds, "Tryin' to cut down a bit. Kinda wishin' I never got started..." in an attempt to be conversational. To have any excuse to stick around a bit longer, which he's done more and more since they got snowed in here together just around Christmas.

--------------------
PM
^
Jane Smith
 Posted: Apr 3 2017, 07:56 PM

SECRET

322 posts

17 years old

Dysfunctional Friend

Archived

tracker

She smiles softly at this. "Best of luck. I haven't had much luck in that endeavor."

She laughs a little bit, knowing that her smoking habit would probably only get worse no matter what she tried.

"Have you tried the gum or anything?"

--------------------

PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (3) 1 2 3 
Add Reply
New Poll