Pages: (3) 1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

What We Do In The Shadows, Pane
Jane Smith
 Posted: Apr 6 2017, 10:39 PM

SECRET

322 posts

17 years old

Dysfunctional Friend

Archived

tracker

She scans the bottle quickly, happy to do something with her hands when she'd been trying her best not to fidget already. There's a small chuckle at his comment about cutting back, and she assumes this means he needs to purchase another pack.

"Did you need more, then?"

She hopes he doesn't notice she dismissed his question. Because she doesn't want to lie to him, and she can't really say it's been a good day.

--------------------
5'05" | rejected, dysfunctional senior | sad smiles and anxiety | smoke trails | aesthetic

"I learned early what this world wants of me. I carve myself out and be that instead."
PM
^
Parker Emery
 Posted: Apr 7 2017, 01:13 AM

Taylor

1519 posts

20 years old

Biology / Criminology Major, Sophomore, & Waiter at Bernard's

MC Student

tracker

With a slightly sheepish expression, Parker nods. "Yeah. Same as always."

He takes his hands out of his jacket pockets, holding his wallet with the photo tucked into, yet partly sticking out of it. He doesn't notice that Jane doesn't answer, having asked only out of social habit. He wouldn't really expect an honest answer anyway.

Looking down, Parker adds, "Erm, wanted to show you something, too."

--------------------
profile || plot page || threads || blog || relationships || past || playlist || style
{ 5'8" || chainsmoker || downward spiral under wraps || west belfast (irish) accent }
user posted imageuser posted image
PM
^
Jane Smith
 Posted: Apr 7 2017, 06:22 AM

SECRET

322 posts

17 years old

Dysfunctional Friend

Archived

tracker

Jane has turned around to grab two packs of his usual by the time he mentions he wants to show her something. She places the cigarettes down and looks at Parker with a mild shock.

"Oh?"

She's not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. Not sure if she's done something wrong. But the distraction from her day is welcome nonetheless.

--------------------
5'05" | rejected, dysfunctional senior | sad smiles and anxiety | smoke trails | aesthetic

"I learned early what this world wants of me. I carve myself out and be that instead."
PM
^
Parker Emery
 Posted: Apr 7 2017, 12:05 PM

Taylor

1519 posts

20 years old

MC Student

tracker

In the time that Jane turns around the grab the cigarettes, Parker pulls the Polaroid photo out out his wallet and sets it down on the counter. With shaking hands, he pushes it forward for her to see.

The photo shows a well-dressed, well-off looking woman in her mid-thirties standing in front of a coffee shop while it's snowing. Her blond hair is carefully styled into waves that cascade over her shoulders and bright red lipstick makes her smile stand out bright among all the white.

The bottom part of the Polaroid has been ripped off, with the remaining marks implying there had been some sort of writing there before.

"Uhm... she's - I lived with her for most the time I was in New York." He pauses, trying to force the words out, "She's who I's talkin' about last time."

He means it to show he gets it, what she's got with her boss, and Parker just hopes it comes across like that. That she doesn't misunderstand.

This post has been edited by Parker Emery: Apr 7 2017, 12:08 PM

--------------------
profile || plot page || threads || blog || relationships || past || playlist || style
{ 5'8" || chainsmoker || downward spiral under wraps || west belfast (irish) accent }
PM
^
Jane Smith
 Posted: Apr 7 2017, 07:47 PM

SECRET

322 posts

17 years old

Dysfunctional Friend

Archived

tracker

Jane understands. She finds herself unable to look away from the photo of the stunning woman as it all starts to form in her head. She looks back to him after a long bout of silence.

"I see."

There are more questions now, what happened, how long, was she married too? But none of them feel appropriate. So she sticks to the simple things.

"That's what you meant about getting it. That's why you won't say anything."

Because he really does understand the position she's in. How she can't afford for things to go south.

--------------------

PM
^
Parker Emery
 Posted: Apr 7 2017, 10:55 PM

Taylor

1519 posts

20 years old

MC Student

tracker

Parker swallows nervously, shoving both hands into his pockets as Jane continues looking over the picture. It's the only one he kept, all the others thrown out. All of the ones she took of him also gone.

When Jane looks at him again, there's an obvious sadness in his expression and the way he holds himself. It's different than the distress and underlying anger from last time.

"Yeah," he nods in response, reaching his hand out to pick the picture up from the counter. When it turns over in his hands as he slides it back into his pocket, the back of the photo has a faded lipstick stain on the back - the same color that the woman has on in the photo - a small detail of intimacy that he wishes he could have torn off, too.

With a small sigh, he tries to pull together some of the words he had planned to say while on his way over here but they just don't come. He opens his mouth as if to say something, closes it, and then opens again, fumbling over his words, "Nice as she was... and I mean, she helped me out more'n anyone else before moving here... she still - I dunno. She still took advantage of my situation. Couldn't really see that at the time, though."

This post has been edited by Parker Emery: Apr 7 2017, 10:56 PM

--------------------
PM
^
Jane Smith
 Posted: Apr 8 2017, 07:03 AM

SECRET

322 posts

17 years old

Dysfunctional Friend

Archived

tracker

She watches the photo as he takes it away, not quite ready to face him completely again. She sees the faded lipstick and her chest clenches. She's still staring at the empty space when he starts to speak, but her eyes travel up to his as he continues. She still took advantage of my situation.

It hits her that Parker must think she's in a position to be taken advantage of. That she isn't willingly in this for the simple reasoning that she enjoys it. That she loves him. The only thing she ever took from him was a job. That was long before anything started. And the more she thinks about it she realizes that Parker is wrong. Sweet, kind, well meaning- but wrong.

"I'm sorry she did that to you."

There's a kindness in her words, she feels bad for him, being taken advantage of. He's too kind for that. She wishes she could take it away. There's something else though. The way he so carefully moved the picture makes her think that maybe he hasn't shared this with someone before. Like this burden is something he wanted to forget, much the same she wanted to forget her own past.

"Are you... are you alright now? Does she know you're here?"

--------------------

PM
^
Parker Emery
 Posted: Apr 12 2017, 05:42 PM

Taylor

1519 posts

20 years old

MC Student

tracker

Even if Jane were to explain everything about her situation, it likely wouldn't change Parker's mind about this. Yeah, their experiences are different and the degree of their feelings comes from different places, but there was definitely a period of time he felt similarly towards Eloise.

(Though really, considering that things didn't exactly end badly between them, his feelings about her are more complicated than he'd like.)

Still, she knew better than to get involved with an essentially homeless runaway fresh from another country. She knew how alone he was and she knew he couldn't say no to the degree of help she offered him for only his company in return. Everything after felt like it was all his doing -- his choice, what he needed -- but that's only because she was so good as making it feel that way. And so in his mind, Roose must know better too. It must be the same for Jane.

"It's fine, yeah, she.... well, I mean she knows I'm going to school in Maine now but, not the details." It's only then he realizes that she's probably asking out of concern. So after digging out cash to pay for the two packs of cigarettes he looks at Jane again and adds,

"It's nothing to worry about."

--------------------
PM
^
Jane Smith
 Posted: Apr 12 2017, 09:17 PM

SECRET

322 posts

17 years old

Dysfunctional Friend

Archived

tracker

It won't occur to her that she's in the same position he was. That she just can't see it while she's in the middle of it.

"I'm glad."

She cashes him out for the cigarettes and looks back to him with a small smile. She doesn't know if he would have ever shared this with her without the prompt of what happened the night before. But she's glad he's sharing it.

"It's actually kinda nice, having someone who knows. If anyone else had seen what you did..." she considers for a second before a brisk shake of her head, "it wouldn't turn out well."

She tries not to think about how scared she was today. How brusque he'd been with her.

--------------------

PM
^
Parker Emery
 Posted: Apr 18 2017, 12:18 AM

Taylor

1519 posts

20 years old

MC Student

tracker

And in a way, Parker's glad to be sharing this too. It's a strange feeling, to have some of that weight off his shoulders. To be sharing this with someone that understands.

With a small shrug he pockets his change and replies simply, "They don't get it."

He then pauses, and adds on like he'd decided right at that moment to change what he was going to say, "I'm, uhm, yeah - it's nice to know that, you know, there's someone else out there that does get it."

Which is part of why he doesn't quite want to part ways yet, wanting first to think of some way to invite her to hang out or maybe come to the next sorority party if she's down for that.

--------------------
PM
^
Jane Smith
 Posted: Apr 18 2017, 06:47 AM

SECRET

322 posts

17 years old

Dysfunctional Friend

Archived

tracker

She smiles at that, too. It's true, it's nice to have someone who understands her situation and doesn't judge it outright. Not that anyone has been given the opportunity, yet, but she's seen it before in the more public relationships like hers that have happened in his town. It's exactly why, when Roose made it clear they couldn't say anything, she agreed happily.

"I'm glad I have a friend like you."

She still says it tentatively, like she's not sure she's allowed to consider him her friend yet. It's been this way for a while. She's not quite sure what friendship entails after all that has happened in the last few years with Bruno and Edgar. This isn't as intense as that.

--------------------

PM
^
Parker Emery
 Posted: Apr 23 2017, 10:06 PM

Taylor

1519 posts

20 years old

MC Student

tracker

It feels good to hear the words, like another small weight off of his shoulders. He wasn't quite sure what they were, if it would be imposing to call her a friend. Recently, he'd had that issue with Cora, perhaps stepping on her toes a bit, so he's been trying to be more careful. This whole friends thing is still pretty new in a lot of ways.

But he supposes, he's at least held a conversation at length with Jane. "Yeah, me too, " he smiles back.

"Uhm, anyway, I'll text you. Maybe we can hang out if Carrie and I aren't doing anything next weekend?" He suggests, more forward with his invitation than he originally planned - some of his girlfriend's extroverted nature apparently starting to rub off on him a bit.

--------------------
PM
^
Jane Smith
 Posted: Apr 23 2017, 10:12 PM

SECRET

322 posts

17 years old

Dysfunctional Friend

Archived

tracker

She nods, keeping her soft smile on as she responds with, "I'd like that, yeah."

She doesn't mention that she's got the weekend off, or that she's got some plans at the college anyway, though. Because in her mind. this is just Parker being polite again. She knows they probably won't hang out. They probably won't chat much until he runs into her again here, in the middle of the night, for ten minutes or so.

That's the kind of friendship they have built, and she would never push it. Never expect more. She's learned not to.

"See you later, Parker."

--------------------

PM
^
Parker Emery
 Posted: Apr 23 2017, 11:17 PM

Taylor

1519 posts

20 years old

MC Student

tracker

He knows it's not that likely they really will hang out, either because he never brings it up again or their schedules just don't work. But he's getting better with his other relationships, it's getting easier to keep plans with those he's closer to. He's not sure if he's even seen her outside of work with the exception of those few summer parties.

Parker gives a wave goodbye as he walks back out to Carrie's car, cigarettes and change tucked away in his coat pockets.

--------------------
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (3) 1 2 3 
Add Reply
New Poll